Thursday, April 7, 2011

From bad to good

I had a really bad day yesterday. A student was yelling at me and telling me what a horrible teacher I am. That was the way the school day ended. I was miserable. Then suddenly a verse came into my head that I had heard in the morning on the way to school.

ما أغنى عني ماليه

Allah ta'ala said in Surah al-Haqqah that a person's wealth will not make him rich. I asked a colleague to make sure the meaning was right because it didn't seem to make sense. What does wealth do? By definition it makes someone rich. But that is in this life. On the Day of Judgement wealth will do nothing for a person unless he used it in the path of Allah.

We see this theme coming in hadith as well when the Prophet (sallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said his companions who the bankrupt one is. They responded that it is the one who has no money. He then taught them that it is the person who had prayed and fasted he wronged other people. Then those people whom he wronged will come and take all of his good deeds until he is flung into the Hellfire.

This helped me and lifted my mood. SubhanAllah. The words of Allah are so deep.

No comments: