Friday, September 21, 2007

If only sooner...

Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu (Greetings of peace)

My name is Nassir, and I'm currently an English (and gym) teacher at an Islamic school on the north side. I really wish I had started this blog at the beginning of the school year. I got the idea from Chicago Teacher Man and especially because of his quote from the Chi*Town Daily News that said "So much happens everyday that I forget about it," he says." and "I want to remember what happens. I think that my students are kick-a** people and I think that people need to know that."

Aside from the swearing, I totally agree. My memory is completely shot, and I want to remember the wonderful, and often shocking, experiences that I have as a teacher, while I attempt to make my students into better people and better Muslims.

I also hope to improve my own writing skills. Although I've taught English for a little while (beginning my second year), I haven't had much practice with writing, especially creative. Usually I am instructing on how best to write, but I do little myself. I hope that I will be able to increase my proficiency through this blog.

Lastly (like my transition? I love when students write papers, and they begin each paragraph with firstly, secondly, fourthly, thirteenthly, etc.), I want people to benefit from what I have to say. I have no idea to whom this is being written, but it is my hope that each person will be able to walk away with something, whether it is a laugh, a drive for English, or deciding to embrace Islam. I hope this all goes well.

1 comment:

teacherman said...

Hey, sorry about the swearing. I honestly don't remember saying, "My students are kick-a** people." I thought I said "phenomenal people."

But anyway, keep it up. I love the post about the rock star names.