Friday, September 28, 2007

grammar = boring

Rather than beating around the bush, I decided to confront a student whom I know is extremely lazy and unmotivated to do her grammar homework (who would have thought?).

Me: I read your first paper, and I understand you have some real talent for writing.

Her: Yeah, I really like to write.

Me: You are just very lazy. You don't like to do homework.

Her: I'll be honest. I am really lazy.

Me: You are not the kind of person who does grammar homework. I don't want you to fail my class because of not turning in homework. That's dumb. You are good at writing. I'm not sure what to do. How can I get you to do your homework.

:crickets chirp:

Me: I'll let you turn in your homework with 75% credit [I'm too nice], but you have to do the rest of your homework.

Her: Insha'Allah (God willing)

She stayed by me for a while. I think she wasn't sure if we were finished talking. I finally told her to leave, and she went off to play soccer. We haven't had too much homework yet, so I think it's safe to allow her to turn in (really) late work. Normally I'm not this lax, but I see a lot of potential in this student. I saw some of her grades for the previous year. C. I know she is talented but not motivated. I hope this will help her.

1 comment:

yousuf said...

You might want to keep this in the bank because it's pure gold:

"I think she wasn't sure if we were finished talking. I finally told her to leave,..."